In this investigation, three different sites are evaluated for their solar exposure using a solar car’s travel time and distance along with the measured wattage output from the car’s solar panel.
Instructions / How to do this investigation
- Solar car
- 8 x1x1 Wood board or plank
- Data recording sheet
- Handheld solar measurement tool
- Identify 2-5 locations on the school campus that have a source of solar energy (i.e. sunny area).
- Identify the same spot at each location where the board will be placed. Set board on a level surface. Use a level to measure the incline. Use blocks to prop as needed.
- Mark board with inches and feet measurements.
- Place solar car at the mark of 0 and hold until the timer starts.
- Start the timer and release the car.
- Watch the car and measure the distance traveled in 30 sec.
- Record the distance traveled and observations on the recording sheet.
- Use the handheld solar measurement tool to record watts in location during the time that the car is moving.
Tell us how your data collection/analysis is going