Instructions / How to do this investigation
Cafeteria Food Waste Protocol
- Scale for weighing waste in lbs
- 5-gallon bucket with lid for milk waste
- 10-gallon trash can for all other food waste
- Gather materials
- Set up and label the 5-gallon bucket for milk waste and the 10-gallon trash can for all other food waste
- Make sure that food is deposited into the correct receptacle
- After the meal, weigh each bucket
- Record the weight of each bucket using datasheetheet
- Also, note what was served at the meal
- Repeat steps 1 – 6 for at least a 4-day week (Monday – Thursday)
- After collecting data, look for patterns that could help answer questions such as:
- What is being thrown out and why?
- Do specific menu items result in more or less food waste?
- Are there certain days when more food is wasted?
- After analyzing the data, devise a plan to educate your school community about the amount of food being wasted and any patterns you’ve identified
- After the education campaign, find a period where similar food is being served and re-run steps 1 – 8.
- Analyze the resulting data to see whether food waste was reduced after the education campaign was run.